[aspect-devel] Some problems with ASPECT

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 1 09:52:55 PDT 2016

Hi Elisa,

The error appears to be related Trillions (solver) related.

After a quick look through the input file, the first thing that stands out is that you have a very small number of elements (only one global refinement)!  In fact, your total number of degrees of freedom is only 527.  This very well may be the source of the error.

Can you try systematically adding more global refinements (2, 3, 4 …) to see if this solves the issue?  Please report back once you’ve run these tests.

In general for error/debugging purposes,  it is often helpful to backtrack through how the model was setup?

Was this model/input file modified from one of the cookbooks?  If so, did you modify it in a sequential manner: change one feature, run the model, change another feature, etc?  How do you pick the specific parameters in the model?

As you continue to get familiar with ASPECT, I strongly recommend taking an incremental approach to setting up models.  Change just one or two parameters at a time so you have a record of successful model runs.

Also, consider doing the majority of your initial tests in 2-D.  For the purposes of getting to know the code, there are few advantages to running 3-D simulations, which are computationally more expensive and often harder to troubleshoot.

Cheers,
John

Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis