[aspect-devel] Problem: Iterative advection solver does not converge

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Mon Jun 6 10:50:46 PDT 2016

Hi Felipe,

Ouch -  The residual in the last step was 1.99733e+21.  Something is definitely amiss ;)

Can you describe briefly how you built the model?  Is it based off the ‘3d convection’ cookbook model?  If so, what parameters did you change?

What does the flow field look like in the first 10 steps that do converge?  Does something look off?

Incrementally varying parameters as you build up a model is a very helpful way to pinpoint the source of errors … let’s backtrack through the setup and see what is afoot.

Cheers,
John

Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis