[aspect-devel] Mass balance

Mohamed Gouiza M.Gouiza at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Jun 20 23:20:49 PDT 2016

Hi Wolfgang,

I am runing a 2d model (box with x=500km; y=600km) with prescribed velocity (ve) on left and right boundaries (if y>=120km & x<250km, Ve=-1cm/year, if y>=120km & x>=250km, Ve=1cm/year).

So I am loosing lithospheric material with time and I would like to replace it by astenospheric matrial. This is usually achieved by imposing a prescribed velocity (Vm) to the sublithospheric mantle bounderies (opposite to the one imposed to the lithospheric boundaries) to achieve masse balance with time. I can run Several simulations and try to find an empirical relationship between Ve and Vm, but I want to know if this can be done in more clever way?!

I dont have the parameter file at hand, but I can send it to later of needed.

Thanks

Mohamed

Sent from a mobile device

---- Wolfgang Bangerth wrote ----

On 06/20/2016 12:16 PM, Mohamed Gouiza wrote:
> I am running simulations with lithospheric extension and would like to know
> the best way to achieve mass balance?

Mohamed,
your question is a bit terse. Can you describe in more detail
- what you are doing
- what you expect to happen
- what does happen
- how expectation and reality differ?