[aspect-devel] Negative pressure

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Thu Mar 10 07:14:15 PST 2016

On 03/09/2016 11:45 PM, Lev Karatun wrote:

> thank you for the quick reply. The pressure normalization was actually
> set to "no". I tried changing it to "surface", but it made made it so
> that the pressure across the entire model domain except for the very lop
> layer became negative =(

But the point remains true: the Stokes equations only determine the
pressure up to a constant. If you want to add 100 GPa to the pressure
everywhere, it will still solve the equations. In other words, whether
the pressure is negative or positive matters from a physical
perspective, but has no mathematical meaning in the context of the
equations you are solving because you can make the pressure positive
everywhere or negative everywhere by just adding a constant.
Mathematically, what matters are only pressure *differences*, not the
overall pressure.

Wolfgang Bangerth               email:            bangerth at math.tamu.edu