[aspect-devel] Negative pressure

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 01:25:20 PST 2016

Hi Juliane,

>>I see your point that the pressure is positive at the top of the model
and then decreases with depth, which normally shouldn't be the case.
yes, exactly

>>if you prescribe convergent velocities at the top boundaries, there is a
point somewhere in the middle of the top of the domain, where velocities
point inwards from both sides
Do you mean prescribing velocity to the side walls (including the edges of
the top surface), or the top surface itself? For the model that I was
talking about, I only prescribed the velocities to the side and bottom
boundaries, top was free slip.

>>How does your pressure gradient look like? Is that basically density *
gravity once you are a few cells away from the top, or is it different?
It is, if I set pressure normalization to "surface". If it's set to "no", I
get a low-pressure anomaly relatively deep. I guess in the former case I
could use the "surface parameter", but it's still very strange to see
pressure at the surface being 20 orders of magnitude higher than presssure
30km deeper. I don't think it's correct.

>>Another point to think about is the inflow: is the sum of your in- and
outflow zero?
yes

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.