[aspect-devel] Negative pressure

FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA f_orellana at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 11 13:11:51 PST 2016

 Hi Lev,

     I have gotten negative pressures too. This is all related to what
Wolfgang explained us. Other softwares do this too.

     I think Julianne Dannberg made a key point for your results. I would
like to further comment:

     The first pressure figure you provided seems physically plausible to
me, at least from a qualitative point of view: with pressure normalization
at the surface (where you have a spike), you might get something like that.
In fact, your pressure field exhibits uncountable orders of magnitude of
variation (goes from - to +), but that's not a problem for relative
pressure. Imagine that the total pressure were to be found by adding 10^10
units, in that case you would get a pressure range from 3.5e9 to 7.2e10
approx.

     The overall pressure field variations seem physically plausible: the
pressure increases with depth inside the asthenospheric mantle, that's ok
for downward gravity. And the pressure has a maximum at the lithosphere due
to horizontal convergence. Think that given a stress sij

   p = sum(sii) /3

   And because your viscosities are so high at the lithosphere, the
horizontal convergence implies high compressive stress sxx, giving rise to
a high pressure, larger than the deep pressures.

   I would just try to find (i) what is the reasonable pressure constant
you need to add, and (ii) whether the viscosities give rise to such large
horizontal stress by convergence considering the velocities you prescribed.

     For your second figure (negative presure2), I see 10 orders of
magnitude variation. The pressure field looks very odd and it might have be
an error in the overall calculation, I would advice you to start over.

cheers, good luck,

Felipe