[aspect-devel] Some helps about ASPECT

Scott Tarlow starlow at ucdavis.edu
Fri May 20 12:29:31 PDT 2016

Hi Elisa,

This is certainly possible in ASPECT, I’ve done it.  The best approach is similar to what John and Rene have outlined. What I did was modified the initial temperature Ascii plug-in. That plug-in requires you to define the temperature inside the entire modeling regime, however, you can take advantage of ASPECT’s built in interpolation, by defining the temperature at just the surface and the bottom of your domain. If you input a 2-D age grid for your domain’s surface, you can then solve the half-space cooling model, inputing the same age for the surface and the bottom of your domain (at a unique X and Y). The input would then be the same as the initial temperature ascii plug in, except you will have an age instead of a temperature.

hope this helps.

Scott Tarlow
Graduate Student
UC Davis, Earth and Planetary Sciences