[aspect-devel] Error from violated condition on parameters

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at tamu.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:45:07 PST 2016

On 11/22/2016 08:41 AM, Juliane Dannberg wrote:

> I would also like to add that normally it is not a good idea to just run your
> models in optimized mode if you get an error message in debug mode, because
> usually the error message tells you that something in your code or your model
> setup is not working as intended, and in these cases it helps to look at the
> setup again and fix these things.

Let me put this differently: It is a bad idea in general to run something in
optimized mode if you haven't made sure that it runs without problem in debug
mode -- you miss out on so many warnings and errors for bugs that are much
easier to find in debug mode.

It is a *terrible* idea to run in optimized mode *if you know that there is an
error in your code*. It is equivalent to seeing a warning light in your car
that says that your brakes don't work, and to respond to it by disconnecting
the light's power supply. Only bad things can happen to your car if you do
this. Only bad results can happen if you purposefully ignore an error from
ASPECT that you do not understand fully.

Best
  Wolfgang

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu