[aspect-devel] melt in the visco plastic model

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 23 10:15:01 PST 2016

Hi Mohamed,

With some work it is certainly possible to combine the functionality of
the visco plastic material model and 'melting' components of the code.

However, do note that the visco plastic model is incompressible and the
melting material models are inherently compressible.  My suggestion is
to use the 'melt simple' material model as a starting point and then add
in the features in 'visco plastic'.

However, this seems like a good time to release a general cautionary
note about moving to quickly on this front.  I am still in the process
of doing sensitivity tests with the provided extension models and adding
in melting is likely going to require a huge amount of additional
testing to obtain robust convergence behavior and results.

I certainly encourage you to move forward with the idea, but just keep
in mind that this is not a trivial numerical exercise in any way, shape
or form.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis