[aspect-devel] Nonlinear solver scheme

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Nov 23 10:34:41 PST 2016

Hi Payman,

Typically the non-linear solver scheme is chosen based on the rheology
and general processes you are trying to model, independent of the
boundary conditions.  When using the 'visco plastic' material model I
typically use the 'iterated IMPES' or 'iterated Stokes' non-linear solvers.

Trying the same model with each solver can be considered a good addition
to a broader suite of sensitivity tests.  Likewise, testing how your
results vary with the temperature polynomial degree is a good
sensitivity test.  However, by default I typically use high-order
elements for temperature/velocity/pressure/composition.

Hope this helps and when in doubt do lots of tests (preferably in 2D) to
see how your model results vary with different parameters!

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis