[aspect-devel] melt in the visco plastic model

Mohamed Gouiza M.Gouiza at leeds.ac.uk
Thu Nov 24 01:46:14 PST 2016

Hi Juliane, John,

Thank you for the feedback.

Mohamed.

From: Aspect-devel [mailto:aspect-devel-bounces at geodynamics.org] On Behalf Of Juliane Dannberg
Sent: 23 November 2016 20:19
To: aspect-devel at geodynamics.org
Subject: Re: [aspect-devel] melt in the visco plastic model

Hi Mohamed,

I would also like to add that combining melt migration and plasticity will make the problem strongly nonlinear, and probably very difficult for both the linear and the nonlinear solver. So if your viscosity contrast is high, you should expect a large number of linear iterations (this could be up to 1000) and a large number of nonlinear iterations.

We are working to make both parts faster, but at the moment you will probably need a lot of computational resources to run these kind of models, and we haven't tested ASPECT with this kind of models, so other problems might come up.

Cheers,
Juliane