[aspect-devel] Onset of convection, time step choice

Max Rudolph maxwellr at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:21:03 PDT 2016

Gerry,
Yes, that is exactly how I told my students to set up the problem. The only
change from cookbooks/convection-box.prm that we made is to use dimensional
parameters and change the aspect ratio. I put one possible solution here on
our course website, which uses bisection to determine the critical rayleigh
number for a given aspect ratio. It's kind of an ugly solution in that it
uses MATLAB to generate aspect input files and call aspect, but this is the
general approach that I suggested to my students. I only run ASPECT for one
timestep. If the rms velocity increases between time step 0 and time step
1, I assume that perturbations are growing. Otherwise they are decaying.
The code plots the growth rate and a line indicating the numerical result
and the result from the linear stability analysis and prints the error
(2-norm) in the command window.

http://web.pdx.edu/~rmaxwell/teaching/G610_Geodynamic_Modeling/m_files/racr/

If you might be interested in adapting this in some way as a more polished
teaching demo, let's follow up off the mailing list!

Cheers
Max