[aspect-devel] Morency-Dorin with free surface

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Mon Oct 24 09:19:56 PDT 2016

Hi Payman,

Intrinsically, any highly non-linear rheology can easily produce solver
issues and unexpectedly large velocities.  However, maybe there is
something about Morency-Doin that is particularly unstable?

Perhaps give the visco-plastic model a shot and if the issues still
persist then a closer look at the initial conditions is warranted. As a
guide, the continental extension cookbook I sent around via email uses
the visco-plastic material model.

Also, for the iterated Stokes solver, what is your convergence limit and
how many non-linear iterations does it take to reach this value?

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis