[aspect-devel] Input parameters for the compressible mantle convection?

Nan Zhang Nan.Zhang at colorado.edu
Thu Sep 1 03:11:57 PDT 2016

Hi Juliane (or Timo?),

I had a look at these two .prm files for Tan & Gurnis' 07 and King' 10
cases.  I have several questions.

(1) When Timo tested Tan&Gurnis's compressibility with the dissipation
number, what is the difference of Tan&Gurnis from "Simple compressible"? Is
the "Simple compressible" material model good for the Earth's case?

(2) The King2dcompressible test has a subsection like:
subsection Formulation
set Formulation = EBA # custom
set Mass density approximation = incompressible#implicit adiabatic
set Temperature density approximation = adiabatic
set Buoyancy density approximation = adiabatic pressure
end
I could not find it in the current ASPECT version. I wonder if this change
is necessary for a compressible convection?

(3) Once I put "shear heating" into the Heating model, is there any other
parameter companion with "shear heating"?

(4) I think that the "subsection Adiabatic conditions model" is necessary
for a compressible flow. However, I think that it is going to conflict to
the "subsection Initial condition", isn't it?

Bests,
Nan