[aspect-devel] Boundary composition

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 28 09:58:19 PDT 2016

Hi Lev,

Initial composition would be the correct boundary choice for what you
are trying to do.

One thing that may help is to use the discontinuous composition
discretization option, if you have not tried it already.  This helps
tracks compositional field boundaries more accurately through time and
removes compositional field diffusion effects. Certainly helped with
some of the models I am running.

Below is a section from a .prm file where I use this option.  FYI, you
will want to use the development version of dealii (master branch from
Github) if you use the discontinuous composition discretization option.
The model will run with dealii version 8.4.1, but the development
version helps reduce the memory requirements dramatically.

If this option helps, please let us know.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis
**

*# Use disccontinous composition bound preserving limiter*
*subsection Discretization*
*set Use discontinuous composition discretization = true*
*subsection Stabilization parameters*
*set Use limiter for discontinuous composition solution = true # apply
the limiter to the DG solutions*
*set Global composition maximum = 1.0, 1.0, 1.0, 1.0*
*set Global composition minimum = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0*
*end*
*end*