[aspect-devel] Far different velocity magnitudes & timestep sizes of the same Ra

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Thu Apr 20 09:16:48 PDT 2017

Hi Shangxin,

Thanks for sending this question in.

Before thinking about your results in terms of the equations, I have two questions:
1. Do the values for RMS/Max velocity vary significantly if you systematically decrease the CFL number?
2. Likewise, do the values change significantly if you increase the grid resolution?

If the grid resolution is low and with the CFL number near the upper limit of what should be used, it’s possible you may get some divergence in the results. Worth a check before diving into other potential issues.

On a side note, I personally have trouble interpreting results that vary the Ra number by orders of magnitude through terms other than the viscosity. While this is certainly an interesting numerical case study, is there a different motivation for varying the Ra number through terms other than the viscosity?

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis