[aspect-devel] Interest in providing and using software containers

Louise Kellogg lhkellogg at ucdavis.edu
Mon Feb 6 09:48:00 PST 2017

Hi Timo,

On Feb 3, 2017, at 9:37 AM, Timo Heister <heister at clemson.edu> wrote:

> It might make sense to use/advertise them more, but I feel that the
> virtual machine route is still a better way to handle things like
> tutorials.

Can you elaborate more on this?  My impression is that VMs work extremely well in tutorials by giving everyone a guaranteed working system, but it can be a bit of a barrier for people to transition to using the software for research on their own after the tutorial. My impression is that containers would help with this because the use environment can be the same during and after the tutorials. On the other hand, your comment suggests that VMs would be better at assuring success during the tutorial itself.

Best,

Louise