[aspect-devel] Interest in providing and using software containers

Bruno Turcksin bruno.turcksin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 11:24:11 PST 2017

> On 02/06/2017 02:10 PM, Rene Gassmoeller wrote:
>> If large HPC centers would start to use Docker instead of their
>> current module systems I could see that encouraging users to start with
>> docker
>> on their local machine would ease the transition towards using clusters,
>> but I do not know if that is happening?
>
> Oh, hallelujah, please someone make that happen!
:-D It's coming but it won't be a real docker (because of the
permission issues). I know people have started to evaluate shifter
(http://www.nersc.gov/research-and-development/user-defined-images/)
and singularity (http://singularity.lbl.gov/). So hopefully we will
have containers on hpc soon.

Best,