[aspect-devel] compressibility in 2d

Menno Fraters menno.fraters at outlook.com
Fri Feb 10 06:04:33 PST 2017

Hello all,

I have been looking at the formulation of the compressibility in aspect and in the manual there is a 1/3 in front of the div(u)1 in equation 1. I would expect that this is only valid in 3d, because I think it stems from the deviator which is deviator(epsilon) = epsilon - 1/dim * trace(epsilon)1. So I would expect it to be 1/2 in 2d. But I found that in the code it is hardwired as 2/3 (where the 2 comes from I understand).

Can someone explain me why this is 2/3 and not 2/2 = 1?

Many thanks!

Cheers,

Menno