[aspect-devel] compressibility in 2d

Menno Fraters menno.fraters at outlook.com
Mon Feb 13 11:28:35 PST 2017

Hey all,

Thanks for the quick reply and answers. We have been discussing this (with Wim and Cedric), and at first we still found it strange that the 2D case of the Stokes equation yields a different deviator in the matrix (1/2 vs 1/3). But then we realised that in the truly 2D case all the units should also be different anyway (e.g. density kg/m2, pressure N/m, etc) and one should actually derive the whole thing from the beginning in 2D. In Aspect and other codes we always work in 2D with true physical units, e.g. density in kg/m^3, pressure N/m2 etc, implicitly assuming a finite width of the 2D slice, i.e. we implicitly  work with 3D physics and therefore the “⅓” is okay.

I guess something like this should be added somewhere in the manual, but for now I think my question is answered.

Thanks for the help!

Cheers,

Menno, Wim and Cedric