[aspect-devel] cannot allocate an object of abstract type ‘aspect::MaterialModel::Simpler<3>’

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 12:34:57 PST 2017

Hi all,

I was updating Aspect to the recent version (with plugins on top of it) but
I'm getting the following error when trying to compile it:
/home/lev/aspect/aspect_new_release/include/aspect/plugins.h:86:33: error:
cannot allocate an object of abstract type
‘aspect::MaterialModel::Simpler<3>’
           return new ModelClass();

I was wondering if I missed some change in how the material model plugins
need to be registered? (the plugins were compiling and working just fine
with the older versions of Aspect) Or is there some other reason for the
error? I'm not really sure where to look because the compiler is pointing
at plugins.h which I never modified, and I don't know where the problematic
function call is coming from.
If someone could help me find out what I need to change in my
implementation to get rid of the error, or how to find the cause of the
problem, I'd really appreciate it.

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.