[aspect-devel] Using MUMPS through Trillions instead of PETSc

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Feb 22 10:21:23 PST 2017

Hi Timo,

Great, at least on the ASPECT side this is quite straightforward. I'll
try both MUMPS and SuperLU and report back on how things go with both
the installation process and the results.

My interest in using the direct solvers is to see how much they improve
convergence behavior for 2-d problems with plasticity. Many lithospheric
deformation codes use direct solvers and for the purposes of code
comparisons it would be helpful to have a parallel direct solver
option.  With pressure-dependent plasticity, I imagine many setups are
in fact quite ill-conditioned.  Models trying to replicate the analogue
sandbox experiments (GeoMod) are often a horror show of spurious results
(particularly with low-order elements).

Certainly not thinking about using direct solvers for large 3-D models
with ASPECT, although a number of groups have used MUMPS and PARDISO for
3-D simulations.

Thanks again for the input!

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis