[aspect-devel] Zhong et al. (2008) topography and geoid benchmark

Austermann, Jacqueline jaustermann at fas.harvard.edu
Wed Jan 25 02:05:58 PST 2017

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the replies! Scott I haven’t tried out the benchmark or the bussinesq approximation so I don’t have any constructive suggestions for you yet, but it seems like another pair of eyes on this can’t hurt. I will look into the Zhong Stokes flow benchmarks (for topography and geoid) and see how far I get!
Thanks for offering computing time for this John! The resources I have should be enough but if not it’s great to know this is an option.

Best,
Jacky

PS: Due to an email screwup on my side Shangxin's email on this wasn’t part of the thread so I’m pasting it here:

Hi Jacky and Ian,

Last Month I found that my geoid code may still have bugs because I failed to reproduce the geoid with the same rheology from CitcomS. I already confirmed that my topography part has no problem (same as the output grid topography when computed back from spherical harmonics) but the density integral part still needs to be tested and I'm working on this now, also including reproducing the geoid kernel in Zhong et al. (2008) paper. I'd like to also try one calculation with the newly merged true boussinesq approximation after I update my ASPECT code. I haven't benchmarking the topography calculation with the paper. That's of course also a worthwhile work.

There is no essential change in my geoid code on github. I only add some extra output such as splitting the density and topography contribution in my own code. If you need this, I can further update it.

Best,
Shangxin

Jacqueline Austermann
Newton International Fellow