[aspect-devel] Velocity boundary conditions - lithosphere ext/compression

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jul 4 19:48:40 PDT 2017

Hi Phil,

> Thanks for the reply - I will look at implementing some of these suggestions. I've already tried playing around with the velocities, to no success.

Interesting … do the oscillating velocity patterns still appear if the applied velocities are an order of magnitude larger?

> I will try to use a different seed to localize the deformation. An idea was to simply expand the continental extension model, however, this seems like it may require a bit more tweaking.

Extending the plate first is a good idea. This should at lead produce lithospheric-scale heterogeneity. The other alternative is to put in a dipping weak zone that cuts through a good deal of the lithosphere. Another feature to consider using is strain-weakening.

> I am interested in continental collision, intraplate deformation (benchmarking my own work with other codes) and indeed continental extension.
Fantastic!

> I have been using the numerical code SOPALE for a while, so it would be interesting to me to be able to reproduce certain established papers of lithosphere deformation that use such a code (and similar).

I used (and still use) SULEC (code by Susanne Buiter and Susan Ellis) prior to starting with ASPECT, which as you probably know is quite similar to SOPALE (FEM, particle-in-cell, Q1P0 elements, …).

One thing to keep in mind is that Q2Q1 (or Q2P1) elements do produce distinct behavior from Q1P0 elements. When benchmarking prior work with SOPALE, consider starting with Q1P0 elements and then moving onto Q2Q1. At times I’ve found the differences to be negligible, but in some cases specific “behavior” is hard to reproduce.

> For instance, to be able to produce Huismans and Beaumont (Nature, 2011) paper, or the work you did with Susanne in 2015.

Both would be great studies to have as benchmarks. The 2015 work I did with Susanne is on my list of things to try.  However, another word of caution with regard to benchmarking prior studies.

At this point many of the groups modeling continental breakup (Susanne Buiter et al., Sascha Brune et al., Luc Lavier et al., Ritske Huismans et al., Chris Beaumont et al., ...) have now produced studies that show similar trends when the extension velocity, thermal structure, rheological layering, etc are varied.

Despite showing similar trends and results within this parameter space, reproducing an exact result of a prior study can prove quite elusive. For the purposes of  “benchmarking” an extension study, showing similar “trends” may be as close as you can get.

> I can dig out what benchmarks for such endeavours would be required.

If there is a specific benchmark you would like me to tackle or join efforts on, just let me know.

> I'll apply those changes and get back to you!

Looking forward to seeing the new results.

A few more topics we may want to discuss further:

1. Methods for generating and maintaining adiabatic geothermal gradients in the sub-lithospheric mantle.

2. Adding features to the visco-plastic material model. Anne Glerum is planning to add a few new features soon (plastic verse viscous strain accumulation), but after that new features should really be added to a new material model that can be extended in a cleaner fashion. If there are specific features you need please let me know and I will start preparing a new material model asap that can accommodate all sorts of bells and whistles.

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis