[aspect-devel] [cse.ucdavis.edu #11352] [geodynamics/aspect] Improve advice on contributing patches (#1856)

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Mon Jul 17 13:04:26 PDT 2017

Thanks for forwarding this Lorraine, and thanks for the reply Bill!

This explains my comment here
(https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1861) that only old
messages on aspect-devel are searchable (likely some cache in google?).

I would appreciate if the whole content would be available, so that
people can see whether an issue has been discussed before. I recently
added that into our contribution advice. It would also be good for new
members to get a sense for how discussions go.

Messages on the mailing list are public already (hosted here:
http://lists.geodynamics.org/pipermail/aspect-devel/), and so there is
not really a change in privacy whether google is able to index the
discussion or not (it will only show up in very specialized searches
anyway). Still if anyone on this list has concerns, feel free to mention
that, and lets discuss.

Let us wait with the decision for a week or so, to hear other opinions.

Best,

Rene

On 07/17/2017 01:29 PM, Lorraine Hwang wrote:

> Best,
> -Lorraine
>
> *****************************
> Lorraine Hwang, Ph.D.
> Associate Director, CIG
> 530.752.3656
>

>> On Jul 17, 2017, at 12:01 PM, Bill Broadley via RT
>> <help at cse.ucdavis.edu <mailto:help at cse.ucdavis.edu>> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/16/2017 10:36 AM, Lorraine Hwang via RT wrote:
>>>
>>> Sun Jul 16 10:36:00 2017: Request 11352 was acted upon.
>>> Transaction: Ticket created by ljhwang at ucdavis.edu
>>> <mailto:ljhwang at ucdavis.edu>
>>>       Queue: CSE Help
>>>     Subject: Fwd: [geodynamics/aspect] Improve advice on
>>> contributing patches (#1856)
>>>       Owner: Nobody
>>>  Requestors: ljhwang at ucdavis.edu <mailto:ljhwang at ucdavis.edu>

>>> Ticket <URL:
>>> https://help.cse.ucdavis.edu/rt/Ticket/Display.html?id=11352 >
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There has been a request for a better mechanism to search the mail
>>> archives. This issue has come up several times.
>>>
>>> Can we come up with some options perhaps switching to a different
>>> application so these can actually be searchable? Or is it possible
>>> that someone has written and interface on top of this?
>>
>> People asked before that it not be indexed by google, I never
>> understood why.
>> But generally if you expose it to the internet google will index it.
>>
>> Because of that all the mailing lists were moved to "private" on
>> geodynamics.org <http://geodynamics.org>
>> they are in:
>> /var/lib/mailman/archives/private
>>
>> It would be a substantial amount of work to do search better than google.
>>
>> So should we move any list requesting search to public?

Rene Gassmoeller
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~gassmoel/