[aspect-devel] AGU Session DI001: Advances in Computational Geosciences

Juliane Dannberg judannberg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 19:00:33 PDT 2017

Dear Colleagues,
We would like to draw your attention to the following session on
Advances in Computational Geosciences (DI001
<https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session26637>) at
the upcoming AGU Fall Meeting 2017.

As computation and the influx of digital data are becoming an integral
part of our science from the surface to the core, please consider
submitting an abstract to this session and share your results and/or
numerical approaches!

Abstracts are due by Wednesday, August 2. Session details are included
below.

We look forward to seeing you in New Orleans this December,

Juliane Dannberg, Jed Brown and Marc Spiegelman

*DI001: Advances in Computational Geosciences *(ID #26637)
https://agu.confex.com/agu/fm17/preliminaryview.cgi/Session26637
This session highlights advances in the theory and practice of
computational geoscience, from improvements in numerical methods to
their application to outstanding problems in the Earth sciences. Common
issues include robust and efficient solvers, multiscale discretizations,
design of benchmark problems and standards for comparison. Increasing
data and computational power necessitates open source scientific
libraries and workflow automation for model setup, 3D feature
connectivity, and data assimilation, and automation in uncertainty
representation and propagation, optimal design of field studies, risk
quantification, and testing the predictive power of numerical
simulations. By bringing these crosscutting computational activities
together in one session, we hope to sharpen our collective understanding
of fundamental challenges, level of rigor, and opportunities for
reusable implementations. Contributions from all areas are welcome,
including, but not limited to, fault modeling, tectonics, subduction,
seismology, magma dynamics, mantle convection, the core, as well as
surface processes, hydrology, and cryosphere.

Invited Presenters:
Thomas Ulrich (Munich University) and Aaron Wolf (University of Michigan)