[aspect-devel] VTK output vs. actual solution

Marie Kajan marie.kajan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 16:17:48 PDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I've read on here before about ParaView having certain limitations. So how
much can the VTK output actually be relied upon to represent the solution
that ASPECT comes up with? I wrote a python script to compute horizontal
averages in ParaView with the Slice and IntegrateVariables filters, and it
works great, but there are discrepancies between the "depth average"
profiles straight from ASPECT and what ParaView shows me. I'm attaching a
couple of quick graphs of temperature and viscosity to show what I mean.
The viscosity drop around 660km definitely doesn't show up anywhere in
ParaView, for example. This is a 3D shell type model.

What causes this? There's no difference with the "interpolate output"
option. The global mesh refinement here is only 4, though... I'm hoping
that this won't be an issue with GR>4. An adaptive mesh would be great, but
I haven't had any luck with AMR and complex 3D models.

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Marie