[aspect-devel] Composition refinement strategy

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Wed May 17 09:20:16 PDT 2017

Hi,

I was using the composition refinement strategy for my models, and it's not
working I expected it to. I have 5 c.f. in my model - upper and lower
crust, weak zone, lithospheric and sub-lithospheric mantle. Lithoispheric
mantle is shown on screenshot "composition_setup" (attached). The
refinement scaling factors are as follows (in order):
Compositional field scaling factors = 1,1,2,1,0
So upper, lower crust and the lithosphere have the same weight. However,
when I look at the error indicator (and the resulting mesh), it looks like
the refinement plugin prioritizes the boundaries of the c.f. over the
interior (so basically it's looking at gradients, not c.f. value itself) --
see screenshot composition_error.

Can someone please have a look and tell me if it's just me or if the plugin
is indeed not working properly?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.