[aspect-devel] Dynamic topography

Ian Rose ian.rose at berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 19 10:18:16 PDT 2017

A bit of context: I agree that the naming of the "topography" and "dynamic
topography" postprocessors are a bit confusing (the distinction is
described in the manual, section A.114). They are that way largely for
historical reasons, as Jacky and I were working on those at roughly the
same time and did not coordinate naming efforts. But yes, what Wolfgang and
Timo say is correct: they are measuring different things. With a free
surface, you expect the dynamic topgraphy to be near zero, since we are
enforcing no-stress boundary conditions there!

As to your other question, Lev: the "topography" postprocessor should
provide an option to output the full topography, rather than just min/max
values. It's just that nobody has put in the work to do the parallel I/O
for it.

Cheers,
Ian