[aspect-devel] Dynamic topography

Juliane Dannberg judannberg at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 07:21:00 PDT 2017

Hi Lev,

The "dynamic topography" postprocessor computes the topography based on
the stresses acting on the surface, so if you have a model with a free
surface, that will not give you the answer you are looking for.

The "topography" postprocessor outputs the minimum and maximum
topography, but if you want to know the topography of the free surface
at every point in the domain, unfortunately we don't have a
postprocessor for that at the moment. So you could either look at the
graphical output (if that is sufficient for what you want to do), or
implement the postprocessor yourself.

We even have an open github issue that describes the problem, and how
you would go about implementing this feature:
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1270

Best,
Juliane

Am 10/18/2017 um 8:57 PM schrieb Lev Karatun:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I was trying to plot the topography using the output of the Dynamic
> topography plugin, but in a lot of models it is within 10 meters of
> zero, even though the min and max topography statistic shows hundreds
> or even thousands of meters. I was wondering what could be the source
> of this discrepancy? Does it not make sense to use dynamic topography
> with a model with a free surface at the top? If so, is there a
> relatively simple way to get the output of real topography, similar to
> the dynamic one?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Best regards,
> Lev Karatun.

Juliane Dannberg
Postdoctoral Fellow, Colorado State University
http://www.math.colostate.edu/~dannberg/
<http://www.math.colostate.edu/%7Edannberg/>