[aspect-devel] Using seismic tomography as an input

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Wed Oct 25 10:49:10 PDT 2017

Hi Nuno,

Thanks for the email and specific details on what you would like to do.  A few comments below.

So the idea is to convert the crustal-scale tomography model (mid-ocean ridge) to a density structure and then input this into Aspect in order to calculate the Geoid, heat flux density and additional gravity anomalies. Certainly feasible and as mentioned earlier ASPECT already has tools to calculate the Geoid and heat flux. You would have to add new tools for calculating additional ‘gravity anomalies’, but it sounds like you already have experience with this type of calculation.

A few things to consider:

1. Converting seismic velocity to density: If heat flux is a desired output, then you will be running a thermal-mechanical simulation. In this case, you would need to break the seismic velocity into compositional and thermal contributions. These separate contributions would then serve as the ‘initial conditions’ in Aspect. My recommendation would be to input the initial composition and temperature field through ASCII data files, which you prepare independently. It sounds like you already have a clear idea of how to convert the seismic velocities into a density structure:
> I extract the contours that define
> the velocity ranges that define discrete rheological layers using a
> seismic velocity-density coefficient

2. You mentioned that
> a big portion of its signal is caused by the interface between the water column and the seafloor
You can include initial topography (bathymetry) on the top boundary (free surface) in ASPECT. An alternative approach is to have a free-slip top boundary (flat), but include a layer for water (low-density and low-viscosity). I’m not sure if either approach is advantageous for your intended purposes. If deeper lithospheric and upper mantle densities anomalies are not included, you may get large isostatic adjustments?

> I would like to use a Cartesian rectangular box 60*60*13 km (0.5 km
> steps) oceanic Lithospheric/crustal P-velocity 3D

3. Assuming you have a similar grid spacing (0.5 km) in your numerical model, this will give 374400 elements. The exact model size will depend on the type of element you choose and number of compositional fields, but a model of this size will likely need to be run across a few hundred cores.

I recommend starting out with a coarser grid (1-2 km) before jumping to higher resolution models. You can also start out by only modeling a small portion of the domain (ex: 10*10*13 km). AMR will also help reduce your total model size, but these are all steps that that should be taken one at a time. In other words, always best to slowly build complexity before jumping straight into large simulations!

I hope this helps and others may chime in with more helpful advice as well. Please let us know as additional questions arise!

Cheers,
John

John Naliboff
Assistant Project Scientist, CIG
Earth & Planetary Sciences Dept., UC Davis