[aspect-devel] Advice for optimizing particle advection for 2D Spherical Shell Models

Timo Heister heister at clemson.edu
Wed Sep 6 10:00:31 PDT 2017

> polynomial inside the mapping. With a MappingManifold, both directions
> should be equally cheap (we are basically just mapping from spherical
> to cartesian coordinates or the other way around). Maybe it makes
> sense to use MappingManifold if you have many particles?

It turns out that the function is not implemented in MappingManifold
but there is an issue about it here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_dealii_dealii_issues_3673&d=DwIBaQ&c=Ngd-ta5yRYsqeUsEDgxhcqsYYY1Xs5ogLxWPA_2Wlc4&r=c08Btfq4m9QEScXN3ZQwLZzzWQE7S8CYq1IYuzKV_Zk&m=uux0CTNIjOFNf1xGQVdpIEUxHWHY0gKLmWOOHUfYH1s&s=1LNJ_M41ueDL_Cx5aObVogJ_DMl0t96YobmK0_rxwS4&e=
This should be easy enough to implement but it requires some testing.

http://www.math.clemson.edu/~heister/