[aspect-devel] Checkerboard at large scale

John Naliboff jbnaliboff at ucdavis.edu
Mon Apr 2 09:43:21 PDT 2018

Hi Lev,

Typically 'checker boarding' is seen in the pressure field and arises
when using plasticity with low-order (Q1P0) elements. This looks a bit
different and could be related to any number of issues. However, I have
not seen anything like this specifically. From your description, it
sounds like you would expect convergence in the upper region
(lithosphere?) and a downwelling in the model center that transitions to
outflow in the outflux regions?

So, a few follow-up questions:

1. Are the applied boundary conditions mass and/or volume conserving?
2. Are there similar (or other odd) patterns in the pressure,
temperature, etc fields?
3. What element type?
4. Linear or non-linear rheology?
5. If non-linear, did the non-linear solver converge to a reasonable value?

Depending on the exact setup, there are a number way to start going
about diagnosing the issue. I would start with simplifying the material
properties and boundary conditions to make sure you are getting the
expected velocity field. For example, use an isothermal temperature
profile and constant density/viscosity/etc. This could be done in
combination with only applying the imposed inflow/outflow one one side.

Cheers,
John