[aspect-devel] Checkerboard at large scale

Lev Karatun lev.karatun at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 10:20:40 PDT 2018

Hi John,

thank you for the detailed answers.
So if I was trying to conserve mass, my understanding is that I'd have to
integrate over density over outward velocity, similar to how it's done in
the mass_statistics.cc? And if I want to keep the prescribed velocity at
the sides constant, I would then then do the same thing for the bottom
boundary, and set a very small outflux or influx to compensate for the
sides. Does that sound right?

Best regards,
Lev Karatun.

> [...]
> complexity back in. If it was me, I would also start by using a uniform
> mesh and even turn off gravity.
>
> If you don’t want to alter the velocity boundary conditions on the side,
> you could simply add inflow or outflow along the model base to account for
> the mass flux difference.
>
> I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions or
> other issues pop up along the way.
>
> Juliane/Rene/Wolfgang/Timo/etc - I believe this points back to the issue
> discussed here: https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/1872
>
> Perhaps this is something to revisit at the Hack or sooner? If the
> composition along the side boundaries varies with time, it may be difficult
> to enforce mass conversation with a free surface. The suggestion to modify
> the boundary conditions slightly to account for the mass flux imbalance
> seems like a the easiest solution.
>
> Cheers,
> John
>

> On Apr 6, 2018, at 9:45 AM, Lev Karatun <lev.karatun at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Juliane,
>
> If density of the material entering the model is different from material
> leaving it, the b.c. can't be both volume and mass conserving. Am I
> understanding something wrong?
>
> Best regards,
> Lev Karatun.

>> 1. Are the applied boundary conditions mass and/or volume conserving?
>>
>> Volume conserving. To be honest, I never put too much thought into this
>> -- how do I determine if I should conserve mass or volume? Is there some
>> sort of rule of thumb?
>>
>> From what you're saying, my guess would be that the boundary conditions
>> could be the problem (as I think John was implying).
>> You can check if if they conserve mass for example by using the mass flux
>> postprocessor; it will give you the mass flux though each of the
>> boundaries. Usually you should conserve mass (and if the model is
>> incompressible, that would also mean conserving the volume).
>>
>> Alternatively, you can also try leaving the top or bottom boundary open
>> and see if material flows in or out there, that will also give you a clue
>> if the boundary conditions you're prescribing at the sides are reasonable.
>>
>> Best,
>> Juliane

>>> Hi Lev,
>>>
>>> Typically 'checker boarding' is seen in the pressure field and arises
>>> when using plasticity with low-order (Q1P0) elements. This looks a bit
>>> different and could be related to any number of issues. However, I have not
>>> seen anything like this specifically. From your description, it sounds like
>>> you would expect convergence in the upper region (lithosphere?) and a
>>> downwelling in the model center that transitions to outflow in the outflux
>>> regions?
>>>
>>> So, a few follow-up questions:
>>>
>>> 1. Are the applied boundary conditions mass and/or volume conserving?
>>> 2. Are there similar (or other odd) patterns in the pressure,
>>> 4. Linear or non-linear rheology?
>>> 5. If non-linear, did the non-linear solver converge to a reasonable