[aspect-devel] Checkerboard at large scale

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Sat Apr 7 21:34:56 PDT 2018

On 04/07/2018 02:09 PM, Juliane Dannberg wrote:

> If that is not the case, and all boundaries are closed, you will not get a
> reasonable solution (or the model will just not converge). John, Wolfgang,
> please correct me if you think that works differently.

Correct. For incompressible models, there must be a zero net in/outflux or
either the solution you get is likely wrong, or the solver will simply not
converge to high accuracy.

> If, on the other hand, your model is _compressible_, this would work
> differently (so it would be good if you could tell us if it is).

Indeed. If the model is compressible, then a net influx will simply increase
the pressure to the point where the density increases (due to the higher
pressure) to accommodate the net influx.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu