[aspect-devel] Question on Thermal Viscosity thresholds

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Fri Apr 27 13:58:40 PDT 2018

On 04/27/2018 01:44 PM, FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA wrote:

> All good, but my point remains: the handbook explicitly states threshold
> (max, min) conditionals for the value of the exponential, in 0.01 and
> 100, which effectively, are unspecified in the code, not part of the
> actual code (above pasted).

Ah, I see now. The defaults for these values are given here:

https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/source/material_model/simple.cc#L137

They really are 0.01 and 100. And then, in the description of the model,
the values are hardcoded into the description here:

https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/source/material_model/simple.cc#L254

The values in line 256 should really be tau_min and tau_max -- you are
entirely correct.

Would you want to submit a pull request for this?

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu