[aspect-devel] Internal heating in aspect

Scott King sdk at vt.edu
Sat Aug 25 12:50:25 PDT 2018

Hi Rene, Max, Wolfgang, and Diogo;

Grant found when looking at the Zhong 2008 “Benchmark” calculations that he gets better agreement with mean temperature and mean RMS velocity than he does with surf/cmb Nusselt number.  We find generally better results with a nearly uniform radial mesh than the aspect default mesh pretty much across the board.  As we go to higher and higher resolution (5 or 6 refinements), we get convergence of the surf and cmb heatflow and good agreement with other codes.  We are puzzling about it because the mean temperature and mean velocity profiles (fn of r) are spot on with the ones from CitcomS, so the fluxes should really be correct.  The numerical diffusion still being included sounds like a possibility. On the other hand, that explanation puzzles me because the 2D Cartesian cases are spot on.  It made me wonder if there is a scaling issue that only shows up in the spherical case?  On my list of things to do is to check into that but life interrupted my to do list.

Interestingly we get a significantly higher mean temperatures (essentially the profile shifted by 10%) for the C cases (Ra=10^5) and we’ve never quite figured out why.  That sort of concerns me because all the recent spherical papers I’ve seen only address the Ra=7000 cases and assume this tell us enough about how these codes behave at higher Ra, which seems to me a bit optimistic.   We’ve also never seen any codes try to reproduce the 10^5 results or to use more than a single grid either :)   Of course that makes me wonder which code is correct. (LOL)  Convergence studies seem to be out of favor.

Scott