[aspect-devel] Internal heating in aspect

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Mon Aug 27 13:49:48 PDT 2018

On 08/25/2018 02:17 PM, Ian Rose wrote:

> I found that using CBF in calculating the dynamic topography
> significantly improved the convergence of the solution (quadratic rather
> than linear, if memory serves). The mathematics for computing the heat
> flux is essentially identical, so a lot of the dynamic topography code
> could be copied whole-cloth into the heat flux postprocessor, in case
> anyone wants to give it a shot.

Jacky and I found similar things with the dynamic topography
postprocessor which is another example of computing something along the
boundary that contains the gradient of the solution. There, instead of
taking the stress at the surface, we take the stress at the center of
the top-most cell (if I recall correctly) or some average over the cell,
and found that this *substantially* improved the accuracy of the result.
Something like this would be easy to implement in the temperature flux
postprocessor as well.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu