[aspect-devel] problem with passive tracers in ASPECT

Alexander Evseev alevseev at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 12:32:42 PST 2018

Dear colleagues,

I have a problems with using passive tracers in ASPECT.

1. I started a calculation with input file convection-box.prm (almost the
same with input file cookbook/convection-box.prm from ASPECT distribution).
2. Then I've added passive tracers (add subsections Particles,
Compositional fields, Initial composition model to input file) and resumed
a computation from a checkpoint. Just after start I've got an error in log
(you can see it below).

Both calculations were made on the same number of processors (8).

Input files are attached to email (1. convection-box.prm, 2.
convection-box-resume.prm)

I've used docker version of ASPECT (gassmoeller/aspect)

Please help me.

log from second calculation >>>>>>>

dealii at 6c2a9c1d9d83:~/aspect/example$ mpirun -np 8 ../aspect-release
convection-box-resume.prm
-- This is ASPECT, the Advanced Solver for Problems in Earth's ConvecTion.
--     . version 2.0.0-pre
--     . running in OPTIMIZED mode
--     . running with 8 MPI processes
--     . using Trilinos
*** Resuming from snapshot!
Number of active cells: 4,096 (on 7 levels)
Number of degrees of freedom: 87,430 (33,282+4,225+16,641+16,641+16,641)

*** Timestep 2000:  t=0.499989 seconds
Exception 'ExcMessage ("The " + field_name + " equation can not be solved,
because the matrix is zero, " "but the right-hand side is nonzero.")' on
rank 6 on processing:

*An error occurred in line <425> of file
</home/dealii/aspect/source/simulator/solver.cc> in function    double
aspect::Simulator<dim>::solve_advection(const
aspect::Simulator<dim>::AdvectionField&) [with int dim = 2]The violated
condition was:     system_matrix.block(block_idx, block_idx).linfty_norm()
> std::numeric_limits<double>::min()Additional information:     The
temperature equation can not be solved, because the matrix is zero, but the
right-hand side is nonzero.*

With best regards,
Alexander