[aspect-devel] temperature anomaly postprocessor

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Tue Jul 10 11:58:37 PDT 2018

> I would also modify the depth_averages postprocessor so that it will
> return a 1D interpolating function that can be queried similar to
> .get_temperature_averages() but perhaps .get_temperature_at_depth(double
> depth). Does this seem OK?

Definitely. The easiest way might be to utilize the deal.II class
InterpolatedTensorProductGridData

https://dealii.org/developer/doxygen/deal.II/classFunctions_1_1InterpolatedTensorProductGridData.html

The class is intended to work in multiple dimensions, but it can also
work in 1d. You'd just give it a set of depth points and values, and it
presents to you an interpolated function object.

> I want to be able to plot the actual buoyancy structure, so need to
> calculate either temperature-mean temperature or density-mean density. I
> guess that 'plan C' would be to write some scripts that read the depth
> averages and .vtu or .h5 files and calculate the desired quantity as a
> post-processing step but this seems inefficient.

That seems too complicated.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu