[aspect-devel] Compositional vector output / ASPECT 2.0

Jonathan Perry-Houts jperryh2 at uoregon.edu
Fri Jun 1 18:31:57 PDT 2018

Hi Diogo,

Welcome to the mailing list!

Good point that this error message is not at all helpful. Improving that
would be a good contribution, if you're interested in getting involved.

A few things you need to fix in your parameter file:

You need at least <dim> number of compositional fields. You have 'Number
of fields = 1', commented out, so zero compositional fields at the
moment. You can only make compositional fields into a vector if there
are at least as many of them as there are spatial dimensions.

Next, you need to give the compositional fields names, with a 'Names of
fields' parameter.

Lastly, you need to define which fields are grouped as a vector. Add a
section like:

subsection Compositional fields as vectors
   set Names of vectors = n
   set Names of fields = ni, nj
end

Give those a try, and if the error persists then some more investigation
is needed.

-JPH

On 06/01/2018 02:19 PM, Diogo Louro Lourenco wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> When updating to ASPECT 2.0, and using compositional vector as an output
> variable in section Postprocess/Visualization I get the following error,
> which seems to be related with deal.II:
>
> An error occurred in line <77> of file
> </Users/ldiogo/Documents/aspect/source/postprocess/visualization/compositional_vector.cc>
> in function
>      void
> aspect::Postprocess::VisualizationPostprocessors::CompositionalVector<dim>::evaluate_vector_field(const
> dealii::DataPostprocessorInputs::Vector<dim>&,
> std::vector<dealii::Vector<double> >&) const [with int dim = 3]
> The violated condition was:
>      computed_quantities.size() == n_quadrature_points
> Additional information:
>      This exception -- which is used in many places in the library --
> usually indicates that some condition which the author of the code
> thought must be satisfied at a certain point in an algorithm, is not
> fulfilled. An example would be that the first part of an algorithm sorts
> elements of an array in ascending order, and a second part of the
> algorithm later encounters an element that is not larger than the
> previous one.
>
> There is usually not very much you can do if you encounter such an
> exception since it indicates an error in deal.II, not in your own
> program. Try to come up with the smallest possible program that still
> demonstrates the error and contact the deal.II mailing lists with it to
> obtain help.
>
> When not using compositional vector as an output, ASPECT runs normally.
> I am attaching a prm file, but it does not seem like the error is
> related with the model input.
>
> Cheers,
> Diogo

Jonathan Perry-Houts