[aspect-devel] Initial mesh with heterogeneous mesh-spacing

Ravi Kanda kanda.vs.ravi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 15:18:21 PDT 2018

Hi all,

I am trying to figure out how to define an initial mesh configuration
such that regions near the boundary have coarser resolution than the
interior (2D cartesian only, at the moment). Specifically, I want an
interior sub-domain (whose top surface is at the free-surface) having a
much higher resolution - crudely illustrated by the attached JPG.  Note
that I intend this finer resolution domain to be a purely
geometric/geographic construct (e.g., corresponding to higher resolution
geophysical data that I may want to compare to later).  The subdomain
does not necessarily correspond to any specific state-variable such as
composition, density temperature, or velocity (/strain) gradients.  This
initial mesh may be further refined by other strategies (temperature,
strain-rate, composition, etc.) at subsequent time-steps, but I want the
model to start with, this initial heterogeneous mesh configuration as a
minimum starting resolution of the entire domain.

I went through Appendix A of the Aspect 2.0 manual describing the PRM
runtime parameters, specifically, "Geometry model", and
"Discretization", and ran some text searches within the document for
relevant keywords.  I see you can set a uniform discretization (number
of divisions) along each model dimension (x/y-repetitions), but not sure
how to vary the nodal frequency as a function(x,y). Given I haven't yet
done a thorough read of the manual, it is likely I may have missed it .

I will really appreciate any suggestions or tips (or even where to look).

Thanks,
Ravi.

Ravi Kanda
Research Fellow
Department of Geology
Utah State University
4505 Old Main Hill
Logan UT 84322-4505
Web Page: https://ravi-vs-kanda.github.io

For a human being, the unexamined life is not worth living - SOCRATES