[aspect-devel] Question about spherical shell subset

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Tue Mar 20 08:53:10 PDT 2018

Felipe,

>       I am trying to implement a model in spherical coordinates, but I
> would like to model only a sector of a spherical shell, say, a solid
> angle. I can't find references for this.
>
>       I have seen this stuff in 2D, using a variable named Opening angle.
>
>       Can a sector be implemented in 3D?
>
>        it would require 2 plane opening angles..

It is of course possible, but it's not implemented right now either in
ASPECT or in deal.II. You'd have to think about how you want to
subdivide the sector into hexahedra and then write the code for it. You
could look at how this is done for the current hyper-shell in 3d here:

https://github.com/dealii/dealii/blob/master/source/grid/grid_generator.cc#L272

or in line 3389 for the half hyper shell. You'd have to implement
something similar for the sector. The ASPECT part of it would actually
be quite simple then -- basically just this:

https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/blob/master/source/geometry_model/spherical_shell.cc#L56

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu