[aspect-devel] Cylindrical coordinates

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Mon May 14 05:08:40 PDT 2018

On 05/12/2018 06:31 AM, Jonathan Perry-Houts wrote:
> The "repetitions" parameters can help with this, but refinements would
> still be isotropic. Also, I've heard tell that the repetition parameters
> aren't efficient for high-aspect-ratio meshes. My understanding is that
> the MPI partitioning makes some assumptions based on how AMR "should" work.

The only limitation I can think of is that we don't want the coarse meshes to
become too large. We can probably deal with 10,000 cells (100 cells in radius
and longitude, 1 in latitude), but not a million or more.

> Is there an inherent performance hit when solving in 3D with Aspect
> (beyond the ~doubling of DOF's)? I seem to remember that early on people
> were noticing a substantial slow-down for similar size solutions, when
> working in 3D.

The speed implications come from two sources:
* Larger number of DoFs: I think I would have assumed more like a factor of 10
larger in 3d than 2d, but that clearly depends on the resolution you're
looking for. We can do *very finely* resolved 2d models, which are completely
infeasible in 3d even with many processors.
* A typical matrix entry in 3d has about 400 entries. In 2d, this is only
about 60. So even in the best of cases, any time you do something with a
matrix, it is already going to take more than 6 times as long, though I would
not be surprised if things like setting up the algebraic multigrid
preconditioner is actually quadratic in the number of entries per row.

I'm sure there are other places where out current code is simply not as
efficient as could be possible, but the two issues above are independent of
any implementation and just do to the dimensionality.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu