[aspect-devel] Aspect 2.0 tests failure question

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Mon May 14 11:00:34 PDT 2018

On 05/14/2018 05:35 AM, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:
> That's not quite correct: we give numdiff both a relative and an
> absolute tolerance. Numbers are considered equal if they satisfy
> either of these criteria. I don't quite remember what the absolute
> tolerance is, but let's say it is 1e-6, then the numbers
>   1.234e-9
> and
>   2.345e-11
> are considered equal, even though their *relative* difference is quite
> large.

Oh, you are right, we use an absolute tolerance for diffs of 1e-6 and a
relative tolerance of 1e-8. Still there are tests that for example
change their number of solver iterations from 6 to 7 (i.e. ~15%
difference). We could add special cases for these columns, but since
results will change slightly, subsequent timestep sizes will be
different and everything will change. Maybe instead we should collect a
list of tests that are likely to succeed on all systems (like direct
solver, single timestep tests) and add them to the list of quick tests.

Best,
Rene

--
Rene Gassmoeller