[aspect-devel] Question on layered and temperature-dependent viscosities

FELIPE ORELLANA ROVIROSA f_orellana at berkeley.edu
Tue May 15 11:52:52 PDT 2018

Hi all,

   I hope you guys are having a good day.

   I am working on a 3D convective system with layered and
temperature-dependent viscosities.

 I am using a depth-dependent model, with a layered set. The base model is
simple, temperature-dependent; so temperature anomalies translate to
viscosity anomalies.

  The temperature-viscosity anomalies existing in one layer are
well-identified owing to the viscosity function (Arrhenius law). But, my
system convects, and there are mass exchanges, advection through the
layers; so some convecting mass from one layer goes through the interfaces
and then moves through the other layers.

   My question is the following:

   Is the temperature-dependent viscosity law also adjusting the viscosity
of those masses that trespass the interfaces, to change according to the
reference environment viscosity?

  mathematically, for a 2 layer system:

  layers have background reference viscosities eta1, eta2

  base model defined in reference to layer 1,

   eta(T) =eta1*exp(-(T-T0)/T0)  This model is simple inside layer1

  Q: When moving-mass from layer 1 passes to layer 2, will the viscosity of
that mass change to

   eta(T) =eta2*exp(-(T-T0)/T0)

???

A change like this would be physically expected (responding to a phase
change at the interface 1-2), but I wanna learn what Aspect is actually
doing, in order to be sure about my model.

cheers,

Felipe