[aspect-devel] Error on a depth dependent material model

Rene Gassmoeller rene.gassmoeller at mailbox.org
Fri May 18 16:21:44 PDT 2018

Hi all,

sorry that is took a while to come back to this issue. As John mentioned
https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/2250 has a summary of the
issue and https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/pull/2253 posts a
preliminary solution. @Eleonora: If you need to go ahead with your model
you can simply take the few lines of changes to depth_dependent.h and
depth_dependent.cc from that pull request, recompile, and let us know if
it works. If it is not too urgent you can of course wait a few days and
then update to the newest ASPECT version, when the patch is merged.

Best,

Rene

On 05/17/2018 03:53 PM, John Naliboff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Follow-up to this issue here:
> https://github.com/geodynamics/aspect/issues/2250
>
> Cheers,
> John
> On 05/10/2018 11:58 PM, Wolfgang Bangerth wrote:
>> On 05/11/2018 01:28 PM, Eleonora Ficini wrote:
>>>
>>> 0x0000000000be5756 in ?? ()
>>> (gdb) bt
>>>
>>> #0  0x0000000000be5756 in ?? ()
>>>
>>> #1  0x0000000001cddee0 in ?? ()
>>>
>>> #2  0x0000000000be6a37 in ?? ()
>>>
>>> #3  0x00000000000003dc in ?? ()
>>>
>>> #4  0x0000000000d1cad1 in ?? ()
>>
>> Yes, this really is not very helpful, is it :-)
>>
>> John was kind enough to already get a backtrace, and the problem is
>> obvious in it: one of the function has a NULL this pointer. I hope it
>> will be easy for him to figure out why.
>>
>> Best
>>  W.

Rene Gassmoeller