[aspect-devel] Postprocessing scripts

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Tue Oct 30 10:11:14 PDT 2018

Marine,
I'm not sure anyone ever answered this email -- so let me do this 3
months late...

> But to be able to do a good comparisons with existing results, I'll need
> things like horizontal averages (of composition, temperature,
> velocities) and difference between the field and the horizontal average
> (of composition, temperature). But the horizontal here is average over a
> sphere, so I am guessing the post-processors are not so easy. (to get
> average radial profiles)

This is actually what our 'depth average' postprocessor does -- average
over all points at a certain depth where depth is defined differently
for each geometry.

> I'm definitely not used to paraview, and I'm more used to do all my data
> processing by hand... So a good tutorial on how to implement that with
> paraview or equivalent, with a scripting (I usually have several dozens
> of runs to process at a time) would be nice :-) But so far, I think that
> a way to obtain a list of the points and values in the volume (without
> duplicates), and maybe something to do the interpolation at required
> points would be nice.

This isn't going to be efficient. There may be tens of millions of
points in a simulation, and they are stored by maybe hundreds of
processors, and the interpolation between individual points is really
quite complicated if you have a non-trivial geometry. There are really
only two efficient ways to deal with this much data: by outputting the
data in specialized file formats for visualization, and by implementing
postprocessors within ASPECT. I know that you'd like to do this by hand
in some scripting language, but don't do it -- you won't be happy this
way if the data just becomes too large.

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu