[aspect-devel] Internal heating in aspect (Ludovic Jeanniot)

Wolfgang Bangerth bangerth at colostate.edu
Tue Sep 4 16:48:26 PDT 2018

On 09/04/2018 05:41 PM, Rene Gassmoeller wrote:
> following our discussion last week I sat together with Max Rudolph here at UC
> Davis and discussed a few possibilities for modifying the current
> stabilization scheme in ASPECT to overcome the difficulties that were
> discussed, i.e. (apparent) imbalance of steady-state heat flux across the
> boundaries due to strong artificial diffusion through the boundary layers and
> thus a modified average temperature (all for models with a low to medium
> resolution of 3-5 global refinements in the boundary layer).

First, thanks for tracking these things down!

I have a completely tangential question: Right now, when we compute the heat
flux across a boundary, we only consider the physical component of it, but not
the part of that results from the artificial diffusion. Even if we had a
discretization that is energy conservative, this would mean that the net heat
flux through the boundaries (as currently computed) is not balanced. Should we
modify the postprocessor to also take into account the artificial diffusion
factor?

Wolfgang Bangerth          email:                 bangerth at colostate.edu