[CIG-ALL] Path to Petascale Computing

Mike Gurnis gurnis at gps.caltech.edu
Fri Dec 8 13:47:28 PST 2006

Dear Colleague,

We have now released a report developed by our Science Steering
Committee (SSC) entitled “The Path to Petascale Computing in the
Geosciences”.

http://www.geodynamics.org:8080/cig/proposalsndocs/newsdocs/petascale-
report-06

The short report grew out of discussions within the broader
geoscience community concerning a Petascale Collaboratory as well as
the results of the CIG computing needs survey that many of you
recently participated in. Our Petascale report includes the results
of that survey as an appendix.

The main conclusions of the CIG report echoes those of the recent
Cohen White Paper. The SSC argues that the path forward in
geodynamics research will be a balanced one, with the use of hardware
resources ranging from small cluster computers to large national
facilities. The SSC strongly advocates a balanced program that will
develop new hardware alongside that of software infrastructure.

I would encourage that you read the report and discuss its findings
with your colleagues. For those of you attending AGU, come share your
opinion at the December 11th Town Hall Meeting on GEO Petascale
Cybercollaboratory, from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. at the San Francisco
Marriott in Nob Hill. This Town Hall Meeting will focus discussion on
NSF's plans for a petascale facility, and is another opportunity to
learn more and have your voice heard.

If you’re going to the AGU meeting then I hope to meet you there.

Mike